Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Books! and some other stuff

This is me blowing out my candles for my birthday. It was really good. The only slightly negative thing was the frosting mom used. It had so much sugar that I thought I was going to go into a sugar coma. 
This is Emery, my brother, preparing to go to his board of review. This is after I fixed his hair.
He tried to trim up his hair around his ears and failed. I couldn't stop laughing which he didn't appreciate. We fixed it by shaving off the rest of his hair.

The review went great and Emery is an Eagle Scout! 


My Grandma bought me this (1940's), a reproduction of an apron pattern (1940's) and a cookbook which is later. 
On my birthday there was a yard sale at the Historic USO building that Rachael and I went to. I think it's hilarious that it's now called the Historic USO building and not just the USO building. It was basically a dud until we went inside and found books. 
Roget's International Thesaurus (1947)
Viavi Hygiene (1911)
One of the places this book automatically opens up to is a chapter on the non-development of girls. Here's an excerpt:
"The immensity of the evils generally wrought upon girls by the schoolroom can hardly be exaggerated. At the time when Nature is placing the heaviest strain upon them, they are called upon to work to the full limit of their strength. Any excessive burden placed upon a girl's mind at the age of of puberty consumes forces that Nature demands for her physical development. Indeed, at this time there should be no more mental work than is needful to keep the mind in healthy working order. The sexes should never be permitted to work in the same classes at this time. It places girls at an unnatural disadvantage, and by introducing competition, spurs them on to exertion that they  cannot afford to make. Nothing will be lost by proceeding slowly until the girl's menstruation has been firmly established, for when that occurs naturally, there ensues a remarkable mental activity that makes strides with a rapidity impossible to boys. "
I laugh every time I read it. Though the idea of taking it easy for a while does appeal to me.

Webster's Shorter School Dictionary (1925)

Harbrace College Handbook (1956)
Grammar!

English Literature by John Calvin Metcalf (1918)

Pocket Bible Hand Book by Henry Hampton Halley (1936)
If anything can help me understand the OT I'm probably going to buy it especially if it's cheep and old. 

The Fanny Farmer Cookbook (1965)
That ends my yard sale finds. I got all of those for 6 bucks. Score! 

Emily Post's Etiquette The Blue Book of Social Usage. (1965)
I got this one at the library for a quarter. There is some good stuff in the Friends of the Library section right as you walk in. 

Here's the cookbook I mentioned earlier. The one my grandma bought me. 
The Good Housekeeping Cook Book (1944)


I'm loving my finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment